There is an insatiable wandering spirit inside each of us. And it constantly waits for an opportunity to escape from the monotonous way of life to explore the beauty and thrill of the world around us. India, being diverse, brings forth a wide array of options. India has it all, from alluring sunrises, scenic mountains to bewitching rivers and enchanting waterfalls. The bewildering variety of art, culture, languages, people and places you come across, is simply overwhelming.
Here are 20 such places in India that one must visit in their lifetime:
- Matheran, Maharastra: It is a hill station near Mumbai. You aren’t allowed to take motor vehicles there, rather there is a small train. It takes you to Panorama lookout point, where you can see across the magnificent mountains of Western Ghat.
- Parvati Valley, Himachal Pradesh: Parvati river along with her spectacularly beautiful valley, is a sight to behold. Keep travelling down the road to encounter the hot springs at Manikaran and beyond, to the mountains of the Great Himalayan Range.
- Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand: Known as the virtual paradise on earth. It is best to visit this place when the flowers are in bloom, it’ll take your breath away.
- Rishikesh, Uttarakhand: The most tranquil and peaceful place to visit. Hills adorn the sides as the sluggish Ganges gently flows past. Water sports and adventure games can also be pursued nearby.
- Gurudongmar Lake, Sikkim: One among the highest lakes in the world. The literal heaven on earth, it is nearly uninhabited and pure without any pollution. You can witness nature at its best.
- Puri, Odisha: The pride in India, the Jagannath Temple is the abode of Lord Jagannath, who is a form of Lord Vishnu. The magnificent architecture is a sight to behold. There are 4 beautifully designed gates with intricate carvings and the colourful ambience, the jovial mood, the celebration during Rath Yathra, is worth witnessing.
- Lakshadweep Islands: Have a zeal for a thrill? Diving, water sports and other such extreme sports. But also offers a peaceful, beautiful and unpolluted beach.
- Alapuzha: Imagine the perfect houseboat cruise along the rustic backwaters of Kerala, while the wind caresses your silhouette and lulls your senses into a sweet tranquil state. Ah! Just what anybody would need.
- Kohima, Nagaland: Get a close look at the exotic tribal culture of the northeast. Or you can visit the World War II Cemetery, where a garden stands as a memorial to honour and remember the Allies who laid their lives down on that very spot.
- Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh: It is named by UNESCO to be one among the World Heritage Sites in India. Erotic sculptures, beautiful group of monuments famously known or their nagara-style architectural symbolism as well.
- Pondicherry: Take a stroll through a vintage French colony. The mustard coloured villas and the preserved French culture, along with a long walk on the Promenede Beach, will satisfy your soul.
- Jaipur, Rajasthan: A awe-inspiring city, with a pink hue of its previous royal history. The literal Palace of Wind (Hawa Mahal) will blow your mind.
- Rann of Kutch, Gujarat: The wide beautiful white deserts that is a home to a wide variety of festivals that flaunt numerous cultures, arts and sights.
- Gokarna, Karnataka: To satisfy your avidity of beaches, visit this amazing place. It has multiple beaches: Paradise Beach, Om Beach, and Half Moon Beach.
- Mysore, Karnataka: The drive to the destination is itself half the fun. Also, you can witness a blend of different cultures come together as one in the form of the Mysore Palace.
- Hampi, Karnataka: Lots of sights to see at Hampi, like the temple ruins of the Vijayanagara Empire. Fewer adventures more subtle stroll.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands: The water calls you, the gorgeous trees and the beautiful coral reefs. Swim with the marine life, walk along the peaceful beaches, and the tropical groves are all a world to behold.
- Athirapally Falls, Kerala: Feel refreshed by the energizing waterfalls of Athirapally. Just what you need, as a break away from the hurry-burry life.
- Munnar, Kerala: Enjoy a serene afternoon saunter at the large tea plantations. It literally is a breath of fresh air.
- Leh: If trekking, biking and road trips are your calling, then Leh is the place for you. The deserts and the local scenes of the area are to be enjoyed by one’s own eyes.
Hope this helps you in making the right destination choices. We often forget that our own country has a lot of amazing destinations, and we usually pursue a foreign trip. Hope this helps awaken you and broaden your horizon to see what we behold.